September 8th MLB Predictions: New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles
Saturday, September 08, 2012
The New York Yankees aren’t just ready to roll over and hand the American League East to the Baltimore Orioles. After a crushing loss in the opening game of the series on Thursday, the Yankees bounced right back behind the home run ball on Friday. That leaves their lead in the East at one game over the Orioles and two over the Tampa Bay Rays. New York can ensure first place at the end of the four-game series with a win on Saturday.
Baltimore blasted the Yankees with six home runs on Thursday, including three in the bottom of the eighth inning after New York had fought back to tie it. But the Yankees, who lead the majors in home runs, returned the favor on Friday with three homers in an 8-5 triumph. New York has taken some criticism for its over-reliance on the home run but has 10 players with at least 13 blasts. Alex Rodriguez’s strong return from the disabled list has added some much-needed right-handed balance to the lineup - especially important with the Orioles throwing up three straight left-handed starters. Not to be outdone, the Orioles matched the Yankees with three home runs on Friday, but two were solo blasts.
Sabathia has been held out of the win column in his last two starts while allowing a total of eight runs (five earned) on 17 hits in 14 innings. The hefty left-hander has surrendered at least three earned runs in five of his last seven turns. Sabathia has struggled twice at Baltimore this season, yielding four runs on eight hits over six innings in both turns while going 0-1. He had a long track record of success against the Orioles prior to 2012 and is 16-3 with a 2.97 ERA against them in his career.
After getting lit up for seven runs (six earned) and 10 hits in a loss to the Chicago White Sox in his Orioles debut, Saunders bounced back with a strong effort on Monday. The veteran left-hander yielded only three hits in 6 1/3 scoreless innings to earn the win at Toronto. Saunders has had mixed success against New York, going 2-1 but posting a 6.28 ERA in five starts. Rodriguez is 7-for-14 with a pair of homers while Derek Jeter has gone 7-for-15 with one blast off Saunders.
1. Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (calf) has been working out and is expected to start on Saturday for the first time in two weeks.
2. Orioles CF Adam Jones has homered in each of the last three games and has hit safely in six straight.
3. New York RHP Ivan Nova (shoulder) could be activated soon and might push Freddy Garcia out of a start in the series finale on Sunday.
Recent Trends on NY Yankees: :
- NYY are 0-8 in their last 8 games following a win.
- Over is 6-1-1 in Sabathias last 8 road starts.
- NYY are 14-5 in Sabathias last 19 Sat. starts.
Recent Trends on Baltimore: :
- BAL are 9-3 in their last 12 home games.
- BAL are 10-4 in their last 14 overall.
- BAL are 10-4 in their last 14 games on grass.
Head to Head :
- NYY are 12-2 in Sabathias last 14 starts vs. BAL.
- NYY are 21-8 in the last 29 meetings in Baltimore.
Bet on Sports Online MLB Prediction: New York -155
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- MLB Vegas Sports Betting Odds: New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: New York Yankees at Baltimore Orioles
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles
- MLB Betting Odds: New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox
- MLB Betting Odds: New York Yankees visit Cleveland Indians